Goals of a 31 Year Old

It has been awhile since I have written a proper post, so decided it was best to write out my thoughts.
I went on a long vacation to Scotland, England, Ireland, and Northern Ireland. I drove on the “wrong” side of the road. Hiked up Scottish hills on the Isle of Skye. Navigated through some of England’s most famous industrial cities. Totally worth every moment. Every time I travel I feel something inside myself shift. No vacation is ever the same and the lesson is never the same either. Growth though is always the similarity. I get reminded of things, learn things about myself, and feel more connected to the world around me. This trip is no different. We do need to take moments to look around and just enjoy what the world has to offer. Sometimes we might think it is difficult due to financial issues or if we are parents, but at the end of the day when you do something for yourself you become better and more effective. Traveling is wonderous for the soul.
Now I am preparing for another year as an educator. I have some high hopes for changes. Mainly in the way that I assess. Skills and relationships need to be more important than content memorization. That is my focus.
I also celebrated my 31st birthday. So every year on my birthday I make some goals for myself. These are my goals.
Never Forget the Past, but Put Use the Past for Positive Change
I think sometimes I live in moments. My head gets stuck. Whether it is feeling vulnerable and judged by someone I trusted. Or deciding a friendship needed to end, because it was toxic. Or moments of fear or moments of regret. Sometimes I carry it. Use it to not get close to people. Use it to not do something risky. I have to admit I have used some moments to keep me from reaching out to certain people. Time that I accept the things that happen and rebuild some relationships that need saving. And also time to accept that some relationships are not worth saving. Need to use those moments not to be defensive, but to be proactive.
Continue to Focus on Health and Fitness
Changing my focus from losing to gaining. At first it was losing weight and losing unnecessary unhealthy calories. Now I am focusing on building muscle, increasing endurance, and becoming all around athletic. Might even join an amateur soccer league or start some kickboxing lessons. Key is to be athletic and healthy. Use my competitive nature for good rather than evil. :)
Write More
I want to write more, not everything is shared online, most of it goes in my bullet journal. No matter what medium though I would love to write more. Write more about politics, pop culture, and philosophy. The three Ps that I tend to live in.
Work Smarter, Not Harder
I want to become more efficient in the way that I work. Only grade what is necessary and useful to both myself as well as my students. Set up systems for the extra duties that I signed up for. Do not agree to do things unless there is real value in doing it. Make sure to keep that balance between work so I can make more time for health and personal relationships with friends/family. That is my goal.
See More Movies, Concerts, and Sporting Events
Sometimes when we get busy the first things that go away are the extra fun things that seem like a waste of money/time. Really though they add value to your life. Movies, concerts, and sports are my life and I find such joy in it. It is my equivalent of going to church really.
So those are my ongoing thoughts moving forward. Want to let go of what needs to be let go of, repair what can be repaired, become athletic, wander the world, write, and enjoy the finer things in life which working smarter will allow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

My Name Is Megan, And I am a Cancer (Zodiac not to Society)

The Limitations of Music Snobbery