Expert at Failing

Sometimes I do random journal prompts in my bullet journal. A few days ago it prompted me to think about my strengths. At first all the joke answers came to mind first--I am an excellent bullshitter and can create imaginative games like a boss. Then I thought of the more academic answers which would be that I am great with language, persuasion, argument, and recognizing patterns. I am a big picture kind of person. Always have been even as a kid. After a few moments I forced myself to brainstorm even more, because everything seemed superficial. I wanted to find to my core what it is that I am good at.

Truth is I am an expert at failing.

This is something that I try to convey to my students and the perfectionists in my life. Challenge, struggle, and failure is exactly what we need. You learn nothing by doing well all the time. Our SPED, ELL, and students who struggle in certain subjects have an advantage that they run away from. They know what it means to have to work hard for something even the most simple of tasks and because of that they learn creative ways to cope. Sometimes destructive, but when channeled in the right way it can lead them to be amazing risk-takers.

I struggled a lot as a student. In fact, failing was more of a norm than success. I learned to never give up. I learned to see hard as something to tackle. I will literally spend eight hours working on something that I don't understand until the task is complete. I do not feel stupid. I feel challenged as if there is something that needs to be solved.

I also think that this is why I am good with exercise. In the world of athletics you are always meant to be a failure. Failure is what builds muscle. As soon as something gets easy instead of celebrating you are suppose to add more weight and give it five more. You are never suppose to be comfortable. You should be a failure. I like being a failure. Means I have a goal and something to accomplish.  I have something to strive for.

So if you make a mistake, stumble along the way, or just feel like your failing. Truth is you are learning. Be reflective and keep trying. You will eventually figure it out. The only way failure becomes an issue is if you allow it to define you instead of challenge you. Embrace the uncomfortable and allow yourself to grow into that strong awesome person you were destined to be.

Now... I am going to keep trying to get this cap on my coffee cup that way I can get to work. It has been ten minutes. I feel myself getting smarter already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

The Limitations of Music Snobbery

Habits