Building Statues out of Snow

I wonder sometimes if we set up ourselves up for disappointment. Maybe it is the fact that I am teaching the main principals of Buddhism and Confucianism in my classes, but this point has been stuck in my head for awhile.

There are many people who are in bad situations who never get out of them. Either because of economic barriers or institutional racism, but also to some degree our own psychology getting in our own way. I have been told many times growing up that I need to get out of my own way, and I find myself wanting to tell some of my students that as well.

There is what we cannot control and there is what we can. Sometimes we give our own control away, because what we cannot control overwhelms us or we convince ourselves there is no other way. Truth is there is always another way. Always. I have faith in that.

"We build statues out of snow, then weep to see them fall." - Walter Scott 

How much of ourselves are in our failures and how much can we blame other people?

I have no answer for this. I do know that many humans stay in known situations even it the situation is toxic, because at least they know what to expect of it. Or we work fast and totally botch the project we were working on. Or we do not put in the time and diligence to prepare then act surprise when things go wrong. I am speaking from experience on that.

This year and last year was about recognizing how I was building snow statues and complaining that nothing ever changed. It started to change when I started to take action. Even now at work I find myself having the same conversations. Is it the challenges or is it my approach? Am I still building those snow statues?

I don't know. I suppose it is good though that I am having these inner dialogues. Everything starts with self-honesty. 

Do you have any snow statues?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

The Limitations of Music Snobbery

My Name Is Megan, And I am a Cancer (Zodiac not to Society)