Friendship

Strangely enough I am in the middle of a Friends marathon and who knew a sitcom would inspire reflection. I have come to realize that what it means to be a friend is different to everyone. Even what people value in a friend can differ as well based on your personality.

These are my thoughts on friendship:

A friend is someone who knows you, roots for you, supports you, and adds positive value to your life. They can even challenge you by making you think about something new, go on an adventure with you, or point out something in you that you can work on. If you look at my friends they are all incredibly different people and I value that... crave it even. I would not want to be friends with someone just like me... I already have a friend like me... me. I want that contrast it is through those differences that make me grow as a person.

I think for me friends accept you for who you are even if you are a bit strange. People who celebrate the quirks even if they do not partake in them. I think friends also know when to be honest sometimes friendships go bad due to negative feelings that are left festering too long or too many lies to even begin to salvage it.

Most importantly though friendships are something that need to be nourished and sometimes friendships go through rough patches. People are people. As long as there is some value in the friendship people should work to understand and correct misunderstandings. Very rarely is it one person's fault.

I am very lucky to have had so many great friendships in my life. All of my friends have challenged me in one way or another. I am appreciative of it. Most of all though I am just thankful to have friends who accept my random, impulsive, forgetful, and crazy sides. I am not perfect no one is, but a good friend will make you feel like your imperfections are not detrimental they are the things that make you uniquely you.

I have lost people in my life. Some friends and some family members. The things I miss are the quirky things. Sitting in San Mateo talking about politics even though he spews out crazy conservative things while teasing a mutual friend. Traveling to Europe and taking courses in history. Playing 'Saints go Marching In' while I arrive at their house on Christmas Eve. The way that he would play card games on an archaic video game machine because he loved it so much. It is those little things that make people magical and weasel their way into your heart. Then when you lose them, well, it is those things you use to tease them about that you wish very much to see.

So I'm glad to have some friends who see me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

My Name Is Megan, And I am a Cancer (Zodiac not to Society)

The Limitations of Music Snobbery