Things Are Made To Happen

This morning I was laying in my bed warring with myself about the current wall in my head that is keeping me from getting up and exercising. I honestly think it is stemming from stress and worry about what is happening in the North Bay. My thoughts are with my family, extended family, and the friends that I have in that area. Fires are such a dynamic phenomenon and it is usually started by stupid humans doing stupid things. A slight direction in the wind can either save or hurt air quality, or save or hurt someone's house. Crazy to think about.

The other thought that entered my mind was the idea that risks = growth. There are three risks in my life that I took and I will never regret them, because they are the reasons I grew to be the person I am.

1. Deciding to go to community college in San Mateo. As a high school student you get a lot of advice. Some of it good and some of it superficial. I was told to go to a four year university. So as a compromise to those who were giving me advice I decided to go to a community college (what I wanted) and go to one not in my home county. That way it was not extended high school. It was a risk, because people told me that I would drop out or I might lose my way. It was better to just go for it. Turns out the best decision of my life was to ignore the advice many of the adults in my life gave me. I decided to go with instinct.

2. Deciding to join AmeriCorps and move to Washington State. I have mentioned this to anyone who is willing to listen, but I grew up in AmeriCorps. I learned to work. I learned to care. I learned to fight. I learned to manage. It was hell, but through those experiences I learned about myself and that I was capable of anything. This also got me to decide to become an educator and pushed me to apply to SFSU for my credential. Best decision of my life. I was so scared.

3. Taking my job in Salinas with only a couple days to move and get things together right after teaching Summer School. I was bummed to not be able to go to my interview in Salinas in person. I had to stay with my students who were presenting their decade projects in Summer School. I did not think I was going to get the job due to the fact that I was not able to go in person. But, sure enough, I was offered the job. I only had a split second to really decide what I was going to do. So I took the leap of faith to move to Monterey with absolutely no time to get my bearings and immediately start teaching. My job gets hard sometimes, but I do not regret my decision through it I have met some amazing people both students and adults.

Risks push you to be the best you can be, because it puts the pressure on.

This reminds me of a quote by John F. Kennedy.

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen."  

None of those events in my life happened to me. I chose them, I honored them, and I put myself out there. Through that I learned more about myself and I grew as a person. Make your life happen. Take those risks.

#LiveIntentionally

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

The Limitations of Music Snobbery

My Name Is Megan, And I am a Cancer (Zodiac not to Society)