Opportunity Cost


I have been thinking a lot about the idea of opportunity cost lately. Obviously this is a term often used in economics, politics, and business. The idea that when you make a decision it might take from other areas that might have been fruitful. This is why in the realms of economics and government it is important to take the time to make sure that whatever course you take gains more than it will lose. Truth be told this thinking should also be applied to our own lives as well. Every decision we make, every extra task we take on, and every move we make as benefits and costs. The goal to living a good life is that you should alway have more positives than costs.

If I take on an extra job, the opportunity cost could be time taken away doing things that I love or time to sleep. It might add on more stress or negative attention. To truly make sure you are doing things in your life intentionally and healthily you should always look into not only the good it does the world, but also what it means for your own mental health and your own peace of mind as well.

Something that I am passionate about that I wish I had more time for would definitely be hiking and spending more time outside. Between work, other interests, need for stillness, and my workout regiment it has left little opportunity for me to do those sorts of things that are not tied to training. So, what is it that I can move around to make time for it? That is the real question.

Another thing I wish I had more time for is increasing my efforts with WEB. I was given another position that has taken my attention and time from being there for my WEB Kids and pushing them. My WEB kids have been my opportunity cost... and well, I never want them to be. So hard decisions are going to be made which will make me feel uncomfortable, because I am not someone who walks away from a task. But this time, I really need to draw a line in the sand and make sure that I defend what matters most so I can continue to be the educator I want to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

The Limitations of Music Snobbery

My Name Is Megan, And I am a Cancer (Zodiac not to Society)