We Got This

PART 1: Daily Gifts 
"Each day provides it's own gifts." - Marcus Aurelius

I feel like this is an idea that we (including myself) say, but we never fully appreciate this idea. Everyday has its elements of bad, but everyday also comes with a whole list of good things. We need to take the time to recognize those good things.

So yesterday here were the gifts that I was given:
- Student held the door open for me.
- A former student came up to me and told me that he noticed that I had lost a lot of weight and said "good for you!"
- I had a productive and really good meeting with a colleague.
- Had many laughs in my classes. Creating that bond that makes for good learning.
- Spent quality time with a couple friends.
- Acted like a little kid for a moment as I sat in one of those coin operated cars.
- Got up early and had some time to reflect.

Look for those gifts. Everyday provides them.

PART 2: Success

Success to me is not measured by how much money you make or how much time you put into something. Success to me is more measured, in my opinion, by happiness and growth. If you are growing and getting better than you are working towards something which means you are being successful. If you are getting joy from your life or your career then you are living a successful life.

Sometimes we add stress to our lives by comparing ourselves to others or measuring success through our bank accounts or the material wealth we acquire.

Instead, I will ask myself these questions:

Are you growing each year? Yes.
Are you doing things that make you happy? Yes.

I think, I am doing quite well.

PART 3: Inner Strength for Success 

"What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I enjoy this quote because it speaks to inner strength. We tend to measure ourselves based on past performances and fear what that might mean for the obstacles coming our way. That static definition of ourselves can sometimes get in the way of the growth and the determination that we have. We can take more than we think we can.

Everyday I must count my blessings, measure my success in my gut, and then trust that whatever may happen I can face it. I got this. You got this. We got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

The Limitations of Music Snobbery

Habits