External Factors: Good and Bad

PART 1: Listening 

"The handicap of deafness is not in the ear; it is in the mind." - Marlee Matlin

I was thinking about this earlier as I spoke to a student. In our society, speaking holds more weight than anything else. People want to be the loudest, the strongest, the most passionate, and most of all people just want to feel like they are right. Even when presented with facts that counter the opinions that someone holds they will continue to argue, because many people do not want to be seen as wrong. This phenomenon has been known in the political science realm for awhile now, and sadly, politicians exploit it. Get people passionate enough and then the facts do not matter. They will literally bend logic, ignore discrepancies, and interpret reality to fit their point instead of letting their point be dictated by the truth.

So, in many ways, listening is the most powerful act you can do. You can make sure you understand, you can reflect, and you can take everything in to process. Listen critically. Because we already have far too many people deaf to any other truth besides the one they feel.

PART 2: Emotions 

I am more of an angry crier than a happy crier. I tend to cry when I feel frustrated or feel strongly that an injustice has occurred. I despise being under-appreciated or micromanaged or when rules are enforced without looking at the bigger picture. So, definitely frustration makes me cry. As for happy tears, I think when having a bad day and someone acknowledges something I do that is little. I remember tearing up sometime last year for that. It was a sign of emotion of just being relieved someone saw me and that small act lightened up my load tenfold.

PART 3: Change Your Reaction

"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean

There are so many factors we cannot control. We cannot control other people's actions or reactions. We cannot control a lot of the obstacles life throws at us. However, we can control how we make the best of it and our reaction.

So when life gets tough instead of being upset about it.... I'm just going to adjust my sails...it might be harder or longer...but I got this.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Democracy: Principles, Beliefs, and Walls

The Limitations of Music Snobbery

Habits